Get Started with Checking
Use your Check Card to make purchases or to get cash from ATMs. In CU Online, enroll in our online Bill Pay service. You can also deposit checks with a smartphone using our Mobile Banking app when you're enrolled in our mobile check deposit service.
A Five Star Share Draft (checking) account has no monthly service fee when you:
- Set up Direct Deposit of your payroll check, retirement check or Social Security payments.
- Or, maintain a $500 minimum balance (hold) in savings or checking; ask us to set this up for you.
Accounts without Direct Deposit or not maintaining a $500 minimum balance (hold) will be charged a monthly service fee, Members with checking accounts in good standing are eligible to use our online Bill Pay and mobile check deposit service.
Your Check Card (debit card)
Use your Check Card to make purchases or to withdraw cash from your savings and checking accounts at ATMs. Avoid ATM surcharges by using Allpoint ATMs or our Five Star ATMs in Saint Agnes Hospital and our Grace/Curtis Bay branch.
Enjoy contactless buying online and in many stores: add your Five Star FCU debit card (and credit card) information to your smartphone's digital wallet app for Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay.
Download our Five Star FCU Card Manager app from the Apple or Google Play app store:
- Review your checking account transactions.
- Set up controls and alerts including travel notifications.
- Block or unblock your card and report a lost/stolen card.
Important phone numbers
- To activate your debit card and select a PIN, call 866-985-2273 from your home or primary phone.
- Traveling? Call a Five Star FCU branch at 855-597-5766 before your trip to make sure your transactions go through. Or call 866-557-5413 for 24-hour cardholder service or set up travel notifications using our Five Star FCU Card Mgr. app.
- If your debit card is lost or stolen, call 866-557-5413 right away.
Earn CU Rewards for "signature" debit card purchases
Build up CU Rewards points when you choose "credit" and sign for your Check Card purchases. (PIN transactions can't earn points). You'll earn one CU Rewards point for every net $4 spent on debit card "signature" purchases. To check your points balance and redeem your points, register your debit card number on the CU Rewards website.
Allpoint Surcharge-Free ATMs
Five Star Federal Credit Union belongs to the Allpoint surcharge-free ATM network, with 55,000 ATMs in stores, pharmacies and gas stations. Visit the Allpoint website and type in your zip code or use our Mobile Banking app to find Allpoint ATMs.
Allpoint locations subject to change. Fees apply for cash advances made with credit cards.
Contactless buying with your smartphone
You may not have to carry your plastic debit card after you've added your card information to your smartphone's digital wallet. Add your Check Card information to Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay for online and in-store purchases, wherever these payments are accepted!
Overdraft protection is provided for all checking accounts as a transfer from your Share Savings account. There is a nominal fee for overdraft protection transfers. Only six electronic transfers are allowed per month (including online, mobile, telephone teller and ACH).
If you have questions about overdraft protection transfers, please visit or call a branch.